Banh Chuoi Nuong
There are many variations to the delicious Vietnamese Banana Cake. Traditionally made with coconut milk, this version from Luke Nguyen’s Song of Sapa uses sweetened condensed milk instead, which is just as delicious and not as overly sweet as you would expect.
Servings: 20cm round cake
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 1 hour
You can use any type of bananas, as long as they are firm and fairly ripe.
5 medium size bananas, sliced thinly
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 caster sugar
1 cup butter, melted
1 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
7 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup grated coconut (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 4000ºF/200ºC.
2. In a bowl, combine bananas with sugar and set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, condensed milk, butter, and mix. Add in flour and mix well.
4. Gently fold in bananas and coconut to the mixture.
6. Pour mixture into a greased and floured pan.
7. Bake for 1 hour until golden brown, or until a wooden pick comes out clean.
8. Allow to cool before removing from pan. Serve warm or cold.